Monday, April 30, 2007

Let go and grow?

Ok, I am sitting here at work going crazy because my brain is trying to figure out how to conflict a junction correctly so that trains don’t collide on the Bakerloo line, at the same time as trying to think about how to get trains into service first thing in the morning on the Jubilee line. So rather than allowing my brain to explode, I thought I would take a break and write a blog.

I have a question. (Does that surprise anyone?!) I am most likely going to be blasted for overcomplicating this again, (and after Sunday – you’d think I would have learned!) but I have to ask my questions – it is part of who I am. So here it is:

When we talk about ‘letting go, and letting God’, is it not possible that we may be doing this, when actually the right course of action is to do something. I hear the point of view that sometimes we just have to relax, but for me, I just don’t know how to do that, without also forgetting my own responsibility. There is something I have had playing on my mind for a long time now, and I think about it constantly. I have just recently been blocking it out of my mind for a while, and trying to stop analysing it, and asking ‘why?’, (is this letting go?). The trouble is that I am worried that is going to lead to acceptance of something that should really not be accepted – and actually needs to be changed. (Does this make any sense?)

So how can you ‘let go’, and yet still grow? (I’m a poet and I didn’t know it!) If we let go, do we just end up accepting the status quo? (Oh look – I did it again! – sort of). Do people get my point? I know that the idea was that we are to let go of our control and give the control to God – but I just don’t see what that means practically. How can you let go, and yet still take responsibility for your spiritual growth?

Ooh – I kept it relatively short too! Well done me!

1 comment:

Liz said...

I think ( and it's only my opinion) that while we 'do' things in our own strength, while we struggle with it all, that we are actually stunting our spititual growth, because we are denying God His power to be the do-er. The 'letting go' bit doesn't refer to a hands off approach either,I don't think. It's like that phrase 'waiting on God' which might imply standing at a spiritual bus stop.With God, even waiting is a task! ( more paradox)

I suppose if we are frustrated that a prayer isn't being answered, we need to hang in there because after the next 'car' three might get answered at once.