Sunday, April 22, 2007

Build it anyway?

You can spend your whole life building
Something from nothin'
One storm can come and blow it all away
Build it anyway
You can chase a dream
That seems so out of reach
And you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyway
God is great
But sometimes life aint good
And when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
Do it anyway
This word's gone crazy
Its hard to believe
That tomorrow will turn out better than today
Believe it anyway
You can love someone with all your heart
For all the right reasons
In a moment they can choose to walk away
Love 'em anyway
God is great
But sometimes life ain't good
And when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
You can poor your soul out singing
A song you believe in
That tomorrow they'll forget you ever sang
Sing it anyway
Sing it anyway
I sing
I dream
I love
Anyway
(Martina McBride - Anyway)

I heard Martina McBride singing these lyrics on American Idol today, and it immediately impacted me. First of all because it mentioned God and was being sung on American Idol, but after that, because of the attitude it encourages. I think it is a beautiful and very powerful song. I can imagine it being many peoples 'life anthem' in that it really speaks to them and produces in them some sort of application for their lives. But I had to stop and just think to myself, 'hang on, it sounds good, but do I actually agree with these lyrics?'

I re-read these lyrics, and added to the end of each phrase the question, 'why?'
Build it anyway - why?
Dream it anyway - why?
Pray it anyway - why?
Believe it anyway - why?
Love them anyway - why?
Sing it anyway - why?

As a Christian, I know that sometimes, even when we can't understand, and even when we don't know the answer to the 'why' question, faith requires us to believe anyway. And when we pray and God seems to be ignoring us, faith requires us to pray anyway. Also, love is something we do, not because of what we get out of it, but just because we do. I know all that, and so if this can be true for those things, then why not for 'dreaming', 'singing', or 'building', (whatever that might mean metaphorically). But again I have to askthe question, why'?

Take dreaming for instance. 'You can chase a dream that seems so out of reach, and you know that it might never come your way.' What is the point in dreaming for something that in all likelihood is going to end in disappointment? Or building - You can spend your wole life building something fom nothing, but one storm can come and blow it all away. If you know that - why bother building it?

I told someone last week that I was in a very Ecclesiastical mood, in the sense that I am with Solomon in his frustration at the meaninglessness of life. We could build, dream, pray, believe, love and sing, and enjoy doing those things, but what does it actually achieve? Do we feel better? Maybe, yes. Although not always because the crush of disappointment can hurt like crazy, but maybe for a while, the positivity and hope represented by these lyrics can make us feel better. Someone once said to me, 'I don't know why we are here on this earth, but we are here, so we might as well enjoy it.' Is that it? Is our whole purpose in life just to make ourselves feel better about being here? To try to find some smidgen of enjoyment in an otherwise rubbish life? Is there something more? Does hoping, building, praying, believing, loving or singing change anything? Do we do these things to mask the rubishness of life, or are they worthwhile in themselves. Are they things we should do because they change the world or because they make us feel better? I guess my question really is, 'what is the meaning of life'? How often throughout life will we have to come back to that question before we truly understand the answer?!

14 comments:

Ann said...

Why? Just because ! Not helpful I know but best I can do just now...will sleep on it. If we spend all our life asking Why? will we ever enjoy anything?mmmmmm

Liz said...

Kirsty I have started 3 responses to this blog and then deleted them all!

I like the link to Ecclesiastes - that made me laugh. I love Ann's response ( as you knew I would).

The meaning of life? 42!

Unknown said...

Yeah, ok. I hear that. But...(I love that word - it is probably the most well used word in my vocabulary!)

I know I can't always ask why and sometimes you have to just accept things, but it gets confusing too.

At Romford Army, we have been focussing so much on being purposeful about what we do. The whole point of becoming purpose driven was that we start to question what we do and make sure that we aren't doing things, 'just because we do them', but rather because it helps to achieve a greater purpose. Right?!?!

Isn't this just the same thing? If we don't know why we are building or dreaming or singing etc, but we do it anyway, doesn't that just show a lack of purpose? Shouldn't we know why we are doing what we do so that we don't end up doing pointless stuff that doesn't help or achieve anything?!?

RichardB said...

Some Purpose Driven answers...

Build it anyway - why?
Because building it will enable me to serve others with it (Ministry)

Dream it anyway - why?
Because dreaming it will enable me to grow more like Jesus (Discipleship)

Pray it anyway - why?
Because praying it conforms me to His will and purpose (Discipleship)

Believe it anyway - why?
Because believing it will help me share it with others (Mission)

Love them anyway - why?
Because loving them helps me build authentic Christian community with them (Fellowship)

Sing it anyway - why?
Because singing it tells God just how worthy He is (Worship)

Liz said...

All plans starts with a dream surely, a 'wouldn;t it be great if.....statement. Wouldn't it be great if we had a book club, house groups, a new building....etc? A fully formed plan just doesn't drop into ANYONE's head, least of all mine. Call it a vision if it seems more purposeful.

Singing, well that purpose of that in the context of church is to worship, isn't it? - a tiny facet of the great jewel that is worship. Sorry I didn't chat on Sunday evening. I got caught up catching up, which I think I need to do sometimes. I understand it was a intense time!

Becks said...

You wrote:

"Is our whole purpose in life just to make ourselves feel better about being here? To try to find some smidgen of enjoyment in an otherwise rubbish life?"

Jurgen Moltman, this theologian dude, once made a point a about the end of the world. (I am paraphrasing rather alot so I'm sorry.) He said it isn't about looking at divine history or purpose- it's about looking at your life. The world can't end, can't reach its ultimate destiny until you have been here. Not because you are destined to do anything special, not because you personally are gonna save the world, but because God wanted you and it cant fulfill its destiny without you. The why has already been answered- you do it because you are alive, and you want to be happy. Why do you feel bad about being here in the first place? You shouldn't. God did the why and the how and the where just so you could exist. Sometimes pointless stuff is just about revelling in God. Its not about finding enjoyment in a rubbish life- its about realising that life is never 'rubbish'. Its worth something- it can be hard and painful and tiring- but its never rubbish.

Unknown said...

Tell that to the people being trafficked! Or to those without water, or those who are left without anyone because of war. I could go on....

Iwould say that was pretty rubbish!

Liz said...

...but you were blogging about you and your circle of influence and that's how we are responding. Now you've moved the goal posts.

Like I've said before, we could feel like our life had more meaning if we could sort out all the rubbish stuff, but WE can't on our own.

Together we could DO something, but it still wouldn't sort out all the rubbish, just a bit of it.

BUT ( your word) what would be OUR motivation for doing it? To give OUR lives more meaning or something else?

This is just a question, not a challenge btw.

Unknown said...

Fair point.

Sorry - I guess all my blogs get back to the same thing in the end these days. I guess my 'story' isn't difficult to 'listen to' for those of us who have done Lab 1!!!

I am not very good at hiding whats going on in my mind.

I think my issues must stem from the fact that I am a very task-oriented person, and to exist just because we do, rather than to achieve some task, sits very very very uncomfortably with me. I don't know why. Perhaps its too much self-importance.

RichardB said...

Which is why I sent a Purpose Driven answer which is very tsk oriented!

Unknown said...

Richard

Ok, this is going to sound like an excuse, and you may or may not believe me, but I promise you from the bottom of my heart that 'they', (the blogging people who sit inside the computers and make the words appear on the screen) never emailed me about that comment. Mum and Dad told me tonight that you had said I refused to publish one of your comments and I was like, 'WHAT?' I have never ever ever not published a comment I have been sent. Then I went to the comments moderation page, (tonight!) and there it was - all shiny and waiting to be published! So I profusely appologise for its lateness!

For those who are confused - see Richards comment (4th one down).

Actually, that is very interesting isn't it?! Did you write the purpose driven thing before or after my comment about Romford being purpose driven?!? If we were both thinking that at the same time, then that is just too weird for words!

Thanks for it though - it does make sense! I think maybe it speaks to me and makes sense to me because it is very task oriented - you know me too well.

Thanks!

RichardB said...

...and there's me thinking you didn't like me!

I think I read your comment (No3) and the whole thing just SHOUTED PDC at me and just thought you'd 'get it.'

Doesn't this just show that there are many different ways of looking at the same thing, and that it's more about each of us 'getting it' in terms we understand in order for God's truth to touch us.

Unknown said...

Is theat verging on the relative?!

RichardB said...

Not at all, it's addressing your need (and others with a similar personality type) to see it as a task before it can make enough sense to act upon.

Think relational rather than relative; we all relate to and respond to life in different ways and we need to hear things in such a way that our own filtering system allows them in before we accept them.