Monday, December 04, 2006

Surprised by Beauty

To continue the thread regarding scepticism, particularly relating to personal experiences of God, I have to say that in reading Richard Dawkins arguments, I find myself having to try very hard to not agree with him. It is likely to have a lot to do with the fact that in looking at ‘experience’ from a rational, analytical point of view, it doesn’t always make sense, but perhaps that is the very reason we call it an ‘experience’. Its meant to be felt, not understood or justified. Does that make sense? The reason I say this, is its easy to be sceptical until you have one of these ‘experiences’, and then suddenly, they are very hard to deny.

I went to visit my lovely brother in Southampton at the weekend, and on Saturday night, I attended Shirley Salvation Army’s community carol service, ‘The glory of Christmas’. It was strange taking a backseat, and being part of the audience as I am so used to being involved in it. Its good, it lets you see it from a different perspective.

To give you the context, you should probably know that I wasn’t expecting to get much out of this. In general I don’t enjoy carol services, mainly because I hate singing carols because most of them are filled with dodgy theology, and when you think about the words you realise that you are singing complete nonsense. Sorry, I will get off my soapbox! I just hate the carols. Anyway, this was going to be a positive post, so forget that!

For the most part it was your normal Christmas carol service but when it came to the nativity, it was surprisingly simple. The ‘nativity characters’ came onto the stage slowly to a piece of music. There was no story in the background, no words for people to learn, they simply just created before us the scene. Then it was time for the angels dance. This is where my eyes welled up, and God took me by complete surprise.

Let me set the scene. Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, the wise men and, most importantly, Jesus were all on the stage in their costume and the normal ‘manger scene’ set up. The three angles (three beautiful young ladies who I love dearly anyway – this probably added to the ‘welling up thing!’) were in front of the stage, and their costumes I have to say were simply stunning.

A simple but incredibly beautiful song, which I used to love as a child began and the angels started their dance. It was very, very simple. The song words will help to illustrate the scene so I have written them below:

Lord, You are more precious than silver,
Lord, You are more costly than gold,
Lord, You are more beautiful than diamonds,
And nothing I desire compares with You.

As the words ‘silver, ‘gold and ‘diamonds’ were sung, each of the girls threw appropriately coloured glittery paper over the manger scene.

It will obviously not have the right effect, being written in a blog, but the effect was stunning. There is much beauty in simplicity. I truly felt like I was no longer in Shirley Salvation Army hall, watching their interpretation of the Christmas story, I was in the presence of real angels, truly worshipping their beautiful Lord. I was surrounded by beauty.

At the end of the carol service, lots of people came on stage with coloured tops and ribbons and performed a sort of ‘ribbon dance’ to the song ‘Joyful, Joyful’. This also was beautiful, but in a much more majestic, powerful way, and once again, I felt like I was truly in the presence of the angels, celebrating the great news of Jesus coming to earth.

As if that wasn’t enough, on Sunday, back at Romford, baby Masie Howell was dedicated back to God. I guess nothing more need be said, the beauty of that act speaks for itself. Then on Sunday night in the prayer time we sang two songs which also spoke of all that I had experienced this weekend:

Light of the world you stepped down into darkness
Opened my eyes, let me see
Beauty that made this heart adore you
Hope of a life spent with you,

So here I am to worship…

And

Jesus, name above all names,
Beautiful Saviour, glorious Lord…


I think I have already received my Christmas blessing – the awareness of the beauty of Jesus, and the chance to join in with the angels in their celebration of that beauty.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Those two songs last night did it for me too! We 'arrived' or, more like 'He' was tangible, at that point.

nigel said...

Your first paragraph sent me into a whirlwind of panic. I really feel it's in moments of sceptism and doubt that God really reveals Himself in some surprising way.
I've been suffering from a low in my faith and struggling with a number of issues recenlty which I won't bore you with here but once again God has answered my prayers and I once again feel guilty that I didn't simply trust in God to sort things out in His was and in His time.
But back to blog - it really is through experiencing God that out faith is strengthened. The Bible all makes complete sense - look at the overview of what it tells us and I find little that can be questioned. It doesn't mean that all our questions are answered but why should GOd make it all so easy?
Must go and bath kids. God bless!

Anonymous said...

I started to get a bit worried (ridiculous, I know) when I read that you didn't like Christmas carols 'cos of the dodgy theology - V and I got married at Christmas and sang carols at the wedding...

...but then I think I started to appreciate it when you mentioned 'Hark the Herald'. For the record, we sang that, 'O Heaven-sent King' and 'O Come all ye faithful' as our hymns and each of them was quite obviously, meaningful.

Christmas carols aren't all bad, but you obviously know that...

Ho hum, there you go...

Unknown said...

Yes, sorry, didn't mean to be quite so vehement about that! I know some of them are very meaningful, but there are some that are very much not. Some are good in places but the rest of the song ruins them. Take for example 'In the bleak mid winter', (perfect example of what I am talking about). WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?

In the bleak mid winter - who said it was winter? Do we actually know that? Do we know it was bleak? Frosty winds made moan - WHAT? Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone - what is that even supposed to mean? snow had fallen, snow on snow - had it? Are you sure? snow on snow did you run out of words? In the bleak mid winter, long ago - hmm deep!

But then who can argue with the last verse? What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would give a lamb.
If I were a wise man, I would do my part,
Yet what can I give him? Give my heart.


Simple in theory yet very meaningful - so you see what I mean. Some nonsense, some truth all mixed in.

Sorry, don't mean to sound judgemental in any way, its not something that angers me, more something I just can't be bothered with. I just don't see the point of singing things which don't mean anything. It makes me laugh quite a lot too! Snow on snow!!!!!

thesamesky said...

Oh this is hilarious!!! Did they run out of words. Oh, dear, I can't breathe . . .I can't breathe!!

I hope you are happy - I changed my blog over to the new version!!!!!

xx

Unknown said...

Yay rach! Cool! Very happy about that. Beta blogger all the way!

xxx