Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Suffering

Do you ever have that experience where there is something going on in your head – something that you can’t quite put your finger on or define, but it really frustrates you? For me there has been something playing on my mind probably at least since I came back from uni – and it most likely started before that, some concern and frustration that I have, but I have never understood it well enough to describe it to anybody else. I have attempted in the past, but it usually ends up with them not really getting it either, and me getting my words and my logic all jumbled up so by the end everyone is just more frustrated. Well anyway – I was reading a book on the train, (the last chapter of Desiring God by John Piper – I have posted about this book before), which totally just defined my frustration.

It is quite strongly worded – in my opinion rightly so, but I am aware that this could sound really full on. I genuinely want opinions about this because it is actually a massive issue to me, and I think it is the deep burden inside of me that sometimes causes other niggles to come out. But I am aware that I can sometimes (or maybe always) have expectations that put way too much pressure on people. If I sometimes make you feel like that then I am sorry. I am sorry if my words sometimes come out harshly and judgmentally instead of gently and gracefully. I don’t mean to make anyone feel bad or hurt or judged – I just get so anxious that we do the best we can as Christians and I get frustrated by half-heartedness. I promise that I do not judge others for the way they live out their faith even if it sometimes seems like I do, I am just not good at expressing myself and in actual fact I actually feel like most of my friends are better at the whole 'being a Christian' thing than I am. Really it is my issue, as what frustrates me is that I am so half hearted – but I am a bit too unsure of myself to actually do anything about it. Scared I will fail and make a fool of myself. I know it is my responsibility to turn my passion into action – but euugh! Its so hard – its so big and its so scary.

The start of these thoughts were based on a question: “What if you were to realise at the end of your life that atheism is true and that there is no God? Tell me, what if it were true?”

Paul has already kind of given a response to this question –

“If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied.” 1 Corinthians 15:19

What follows is selected passages from John Pipers book regarding these ideas:

“Why didn’t Paul say ‘Even if Christ is not raised from the dead, and even if there is no God, a life of love and labour and sacrifice and suffering is a good life’? Why didn’t he say that ‘even without the reward of resurrection, we are not to be pitied’? Why did he say instead, ‘If our hope in Christ proves to be false in the end, we are to be pitied more than anyone’?...

…It seems that most Christians in the prosperous West describe the benefits of Christianity in terms that would make it a good life, even if there were no God and no resurrection. Think of all the psychological benefits and relational benefits. And of course these are true and Biblical: the fruit of the Holy Spirit is love, joy, and peace. So if we get love, joy and peace from believing these things, then is it not a good life to live, even if it turns out to be based on a falsehood? Why should we be pitied? What’s wrong with Paul then? Was he not living the abundant life?.It does not seem to be pitiable to live your three score and ten in a joyful and satisfying delusion, if that delusion makes no difference whatever for the future. If delusion can turn emptiness and meaninglessness into happiness then why not be deluded?

The answer seems to be that the Christian life for Paul was not the so-called good life of prosperity and ease. Instead it was a life of freely chosen suffering beyond anything we ordinarily experience…

…Christianity as Paul understands it is not the best way to maximise pleasure, if this life is all that there is. Paul tells us the best way to maximise our pleasures in this life. ‘If the dead are not raised, let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die’ 1 Corinthians 15:32

…But what he means by the phrase, ‘Let us eat and drink’ is that without the hope of resurrection, one should pursue ordinary pleasures and avoid extraordinary suffering. This is the life Paul has rejected as a Christian…He means there is a normal, simple comfortable, ordinary life of human delights that we may enjoy with no troubling thoughts of heaven or hell or sin or holiness or God – if there is no resurrection from the dead. And what stunned me about this train of thought is that many professing Christians seem to aim at just this, and call it Christianity…

…How many Christians do you know who could say, ‘The lifestyle I have chosen as a Christian would be utterly foolish and pitiable if there is no resurrection’? How many Christians are there who could say, ‘The suffering I have freely chosen to embrace for the cause of Christ would be a pitiable life if there is no resurrection’? As I see it, these are shocking questions.

‘If the dead are not raised… why am I in peril every hour?...I die every day’ 1 Corinthians 15: 29-31. This is what Paul has chosen. He protests because he does not have to live this way, he has chosen it…

…This is not normal. Human beings flee suffering. We move to safer neighbourhoods. We choose milder climates. We buy air conditioners. We take aspirin. We come in out of the rain. We avoid dark streets. We purify our water. We do not normally choose a way of life that would put us in ‘peril every hour’…

…Oh that we would embrace the necessary suffering appointed for the advancement of Christ’s kingdom in the world!”

Are these harsh words? Do these statements draw out for us a set of guidelines that are beyond our reach, or place too much pressure on us to be perfect? Do they call us to strive for too much perfection, or is that just the way we see it because actually we like our comfortable life? Do we end up saying , ‘well I gave up this thing for God 3 years ago, is that not enough?’ Or ‘really, I just can’t be bothered to make that much effort?’ Is it just me or does there seem to be a startling gap between the sort of suffering that Paul chose to endure and what we allow ourselves to go through? Is that just because of the vast difference in cultures, or is that just an excuse? Surely there are opportunities to preach the word without hesitation or compromise in the way they used to? Why don’t we take them? Sure we would get in trouble for it and face many difficulties for it – but isn’t that what this is saying we should be choosing?

I have been told by people in the past that I need to relax with my faith a bit more, and stop striving so hard for perfection – but how do you do that when these words are so challenging? These words so describe what has been buried deep down in my gut for so long – how do I respond to it? And should I? And what if I don’t want to?

Help!

Just realised that once again I have written an honest post making me vulnerable! Am quite scared by how often I am doing this right now! Just thought I would add that in.

11 comments:

thesamesky said...

I am so glad that you did! (I think it is great for us to push out of our comfort zones once in a while - we grow that way!)

I am so glad that you posted this too. This is something we were talking about in college, in our disipleship groups.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer once said this (in The Cost of Discipleship, 1959).

"Jesus must therefore make it clear beyond all doubt that the 'must', of suffering applies to his disciples no less than to himself. Just as Christ is Christ only in virtue of his suffering and rejection, so the disciple is a disciple only in so far as he shares his Lord's suffering and rejection and crucifixion. Discipleship means adherence to the person of Jesus, and therefore submission to the law of Christ which is the law of the cross. . . . To deny oneself is to be aware only of Christ and no more of self, to see only him who goes before and no more the road which is too hard for us. . . . To endure the cross . . .is not an accident, but a necessity. Jesus says that every christian has his own cross waiting for him, a cross destined and appointed by God. Each must endure his allotted share of suffering and rejection. . . . The first Christ-suffering which every man must experience is the call to abandon the attachments of this world"

I don't think he is saying that we will all be persecuted as he was (he was in a concentration camp) or that for all of us we are called to give up our comfortable lifestyles per se. But that we should be willing to - that we should die every day to our own desires and wants and needs. If this is real, then it should hurt. Every day I get up and have to say to God - ok, if you want him, (Jon) you can have him. And you know what - it is terrifying! But liberating also. And it hurts. It will be different for everyone, but it is a willingness to surrender everything that is important to us and follow him.

"This type of discipleship can lead to great suffering. Truly surrendering to God is dangerous, we lose control of our own lives and our desires are not always fulfilled. However this type of suffering is the kind that leads us closer to Christ, bringing us into a deeper relationship with him, and helping us to let go of our own sinful desires. " (from my blog).

You know Kirsty - I don't think it is about trying harder, you can 'relax' in your faith - as long as you are continually allowing yourself to be vulnerable before God, and being willing to be used by him. I think it is possible to be 'relaxed' in your faith, and still striving for holiness with all your might. It is one of those difficult balances!

I hope this helps. I am nowhere near being able to do these things, I'm still on the journey. But I trust that God is teaching me along the way, and bringing me closer to the point at which I am a true disciple. Maybe that is what it means to relax in your faith - not stopping the striving for God, but trusting him to teach you. I hope so!!

xx

Joanna said...

Hey Kirst

Wow...challenging post. I just want to say I think your desires to uphold truth and defend the gospel are fantastic and I really admire you for your passion in it. We must not try to dampen down what God has given in His Word to make it more comfortable to us or somehow more relevant to the way we would like to live out our lives. We can't pick and choose or adapt for our liking or argue away. So please don't ever change!! (I obviously don't know what conversations you have had in the past with people that have led them to tell you to relax...so I am not getting at anyone else here....you're obviously a stress head!!!!!!!! joke). I do think we can relax in God and give over to Him our desires to strive to be the best Christians we can - and we shouldn't try to do anything in our own strength - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to know the truth and uphold the truth and defend it to the end!!!

But obviously, that does mean we are faced with very challenging - and scary! - passages like the one you have written. I don't think that John Piper has been too harsh (but then I wouldn't, would I, seeing as he is my hero ha ha ha!). I think what he has done is the complete opposite to what we naturally want to do, and that is shy away from the real truth behind these passages. He is doing what I believe good preachers and teachers should do and that is challenge us to live radical lives for God (in His strength of course!), even if these challenges hurt and sting. Because that is what the Bible does. And that is what all His servants in the Bible did. And ultimately what Christ did. So to identify with them, we should strive to live like them. We either believe it or we don't.

On that basis there is no way I live a radical life for Christ, and I think in general we don't in the West (and I am generalising!). I watched a video the other day about the Persecuted Church in other countries, and they WERE living radical lives in the face of persecution. We just have no idea what it is to live the sort of life Paul did...but many of our brothers and sisters in other countries do. It is heart wrenching and extremely moving to hear what they suffer. This does trouble me cos I often wonder why we don't suffer for the gospel here in the way the Bible says we will...it makes me worry. What are the reasons behind it, cos the Bible says it is a privilege to suffer for Christ - even a joy!! And often where there is great persecution the church grows in ways that again, we don't experience here. I believe there are lots of questions to be asked around this which I won't go into here. But also, I don't particularly want to suffer that way. I recoil at the thought of it. What a dilemma! I want the things that God says are a joy and a privilege, but I don't want the suffering...do any of us?

But then, at the same time, it is true that we don't have the same opportunities for persecution in the West as other countries do. So in some ways it is a cultural thing. We can't make people torture us or burn down our churches! We could try harder by proclaiming the gospel harder - but I still don't think we would be persecuted in that way....not yet anyway. And I'm sure that the people in Nigeria or Korea or all the other places where this is happening did not particularly leap for joy at the thought of persecution...but it is clear that God gives them strength and joy and perseverance through it...so I am pretty sure God would give it to us too if it did happen.

I think the questions we should ask ourselves are about whether or not we are ashamed of the gospel. How much are we telling those around us about Christ? My pastor always loves that verse that talks about praises coming out of the overflow of the heart. He thinks the best evangelism is that which bubbles over from inside, the sort that comes naturally when all you want to do is talk of Christ. The sort where the joy of Christ shows on your face and in what you do and say and you just can't keep it inside. I always go away feeling rubbish but challenged when he speaks like this. If we were like this, we may not be persecuted for it, but I guess we should ask ourselves whether we are doing what would lead to persecution in other countries. And when people laugh at us or ignore us (things that do hurt), does that make us shut up, or are we prepared to keep on speaking and being joyful and loving Christ above everything else? Do we rely on God to give us His strength through these sorts of hardships? And if we struggle with this (which I do big time) are at least the desires to be like this present in us? If not, then I think there is a problem. But if they are, we can keep praying that God would make these desires real, and that if one day we are faced with real persecution (which perhaps in our ever more fragile society it seems more likely for the future than it once did) we will be prepared and I'm sure God will make our desires a reality.

Does any of this make sense? I may be sounding harsh too...but as you have clearly been challenged Kirst...we can't ignore the fact that the Bible itself says these things which seem so harsh.

Please keep defending the truth Kirsty...you are fab!

Unknown said...

Thanks Rach, thanks Jo.

Jo - I seriously nearly called out a Hallelujah in the middle of the office!

I do agree very much with the people that say I need to relax a bit and not be so intense with it all the time - mainly because my head gets so wound up and so full that I don't know what to do with it all, but knowing how to balance the two is really hard.

I think for me, this whole issue is mainly to do with evangelism - as in sharing the gospel with others. My truth and grace post talks more about this, but sometimes I don't know whether I should just be letting my faith 'bubble over' in terms of just letting people see what is inside of me, or whether I should be consciously making opportunities to tell people about the gospel too. I don't want people to run the other way (because of the whole ramming it down their throats issue), but I also don't want to waste this life - I don't want to go about this life enjoying being comfortable and having friends, and 'things' and not putting everything I've got - all my energy and strength into fighting for God's Kingdom to be seen on earth.

That's what Salvation Army soldiership is all about isn't it -those of us that have taken on that particular commitment? Surely its also what being a Christian is all about too.

Its a constant fight between being passionate about it, wanting to do it, but not knowing what or how and also being scared and most likely not trusting enough.

I guess I am just so scared that I am just going to go about this Christian life half-heartedly right to the end and never doing anything more than staying within my comfort zone. Its my responsibility to do something about it but I don't know what and I don't know how - and I want to do it right - successfully and not just dive headfirst into doing stuff for God that may be completely wrong and have the opposite effect.

Does this make sense?

Sorry to let all my troubles out like this. I have got on a roll now - its hard to stop!

Joanna said...

Hey,
I know exactly what you mean...it is so hard to know how to 'do' evangelism! I definitely think our lives should reflect the fact that we love Jesus, but I think it is important to speak about Him too. That is what we are taught in the Bible...'how will they hear if no one tells them?' (some verse somewhere - Romans perhaps?!). We are told time and again to PROCLAIM the good news. And Jesus and the apostles and the early Christians spoke out about Him and were always prepared to give a reason for the hope that they had (somewhere in 1 Peter!).

But I don't know...perhaps it isn't about always sitting down with people and going point by point with them through the gospel. I know the apostles went out and did this, but they had been called to a very specific role. We are not all called to be preachers and teachers etc.

I think a lot of it is about a 'word in season'. Always being mindful of Christ and full of the Spirit so that it is NATURAL to make comments about Him for example. If we think about it there are SO many occasions where conversations lend themselves to making perhaps just one sentence. It may not be the whole gospel, and they may not be able to come to an understanding of salvation through the comment...but it could be a word in season. It could be their season, a time where God really uses what you say and prompts them to seek. Or a build up of such comments could really get people wondering what it is all about, why you say such things.

That is surely not ramming it down people, especially if it comes naturally (it could be so cheesy or false if it wasn't natural). This isn't natural for me, but I have learnt not to make excuses about this, such as it is not my personanlity to do so. I know it is purely because I need to fall mroe in love with Jesus, I need to be tuned in with His Spirit and in constant communication and communion with Him so that it does become natural and overflows from within me.

And I have seen so many times from other people a 'word in season' leading to opportunities to fully explain and share the gospel.

And one other thing...I don't think we should be concerned about having the opposite effect to what we want. Yes, we can say things in completely the wrong way, without the gentleness and respect that we are commanded to adopt, and that would be very sad if it had the opposite effect. But on the whole, we may often have the opposite effect to what we want even when it is said in love. The gospel is foolishness to most people, and it is also an offence - both Biblical concepts. Therefore, if we are evangelising we WILL have the opposite effect to what we want...which obviously for some leads to persecution, for others, it may just mean making someone completely hostile to the gospel. But we do not know who God will save, and it just could be that person's time.

Joanna said...

Ooo - meant to say, these are all just thoughts and not how I think evangelism should be done. Each has their own way and I don't think there is a prescribed way....just that we SHOULD speak the gospel, but how that is done is different for each person. I just thought what I said might help with the comments you made.

xx

Anonymous said...

So sorry - me again! But I was thinking about my comments when I was driving home from work and I do tend to get a bit paraniod about what people will think of the things I write. It's quite hard to make it clear what you mean when you are not face to face with people.

I just want to clarify that I don't think that Christians who do not suffer physical persecution are any way second rate at all. My point was more about living a radical life for Christ - that may cause hurt and suffering in whatever form - wherever we live, and that as Westerners we need to be particularly on our guard that we don't become complacent about this which would be easy to do in the comfotable country we live in.

I hope I didn't offend anyone or give the wrong impression with my comments (you seem to have a whole church full of people out there reading your blog Kirst!!!!)

Jo
xx

Unknown said...

Jo don't worry - the people at my church are very lovely. Besides, I don't think your comments were offensive at all, just truthful.

I really feel assured when you comment because I know that all that you say comes from a place of genuine passion for truth and I know that all that you say is because of a sincere desire to help where you can with any understanding you have gained through your own searching. Thanks for that - it really is helpful. I think you are a very wise person Jo. Your thoughts really make a difference to my understanding.

As do everybody's - thanks all for being such a helpful influence on my journey. I truly mean that.

Liz said...

Kirsty - you mention something that has been buried in your gut, and I wonder if you have ever actually voiced the words to yourself that describe what that is?

I'm not expecting you to blog them - way too personal, but I just wondered if in your most intimate moments with God if you have actually said 'the words' and if you have, if it helped a little , or made it all feel even more profound.

Praying for you.

X

Unknown said...

Hmm, interesting questions Liz. Not going to say much else about it here, but may talk to you sometime about it.

Thanks for prayers.

xxx

Liz said...

Kirsty we must get together at some point - are you around on Sunday?

Unknown said...

Yep. I'm always around!

That would be nice. Hope you managed to get some nice prizes!

xxx