Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Why Faith?

I had a very interesting discussion with a friend of mine last night whilst we were painting my room. I was standing in the wardrobe – yes in the wardrobe! (I have built in mirrored wardrobes – and we were painting the walls at the back of them!) and she posed a question which got us wondering. Who knows, maybe it was the fumes of the paint (especially in an enclosed space!!!), but it seems like we should have known the answer to this question, and yet neither of us could quite put our finger on it. I think we may be missing a large piece of the jigsaw, which is there somewhere, but for some reason has been temporarily misplaced. Losing the metaphors, I don’t quite get it. I thought I did, but after that question I have realised I obviously don’t. I think there is an answer to this one, and an answer I will probably respond to with an, ‘Oh yeah, that’s what it is!’ type response, so if anyone can offer it, that would be great!!!!

Sorry, no more waffling, here it is the question of the day:

Why is faith required for Salvation?

In my head, the brief (very) history of the redemption plan is this:
  • God made a perfect world, humans were in perfect relationship with Him.
  • Humans messed up and ruined it – we were separated from God.
  • The huge gap between God’s holiness and glory and our sinfulness meant that we could no longer see God fully or be actually with Him in the fullness of His presence because we would simply die. (This is true – right?)
  • God still wanted to be in relationship with His people so He chose a nation and set some guidelines for them on how they might be able to still be in relationship with Him - sacrifice, the holy of holies, the tabernacle, the ten commandments and covenant relationship etc etc. Namely the law.
  • Skipping a whole load of "stuff" - the law was powerless to remove the sins of the people: "The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins, because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins." Hebrews 10:1-4
  • Jesus came to earth, became a man, lived a perfect life, and died for our sins, becoming the perfect sacrifice and therefore the fulfilment of the law.
  • Now we are in a transient state. We have forgiveness of sins through Jesus, and can 'gain access' to the Kingdom of Heaven through faith in the son. But what we see now is only partial because the Son has not yet returned in all His glory. So we are still imperfect, and still do not experience the complete fulness of His glory (nor can we till we have been made perfect).

That is my understanding. My question is this:

If God is omnipotent - can do anything - why was he bound by the 'law' in the first place? Why did sin seperate us from Him? Why couldn't he just turn round and say sin can exist with holiness? (or more metaphorically - I choose that darkness and light can now exist together)?

Secondly, even if that is explainable, when Jesus died for our sins, why was that not the end of the story? Jesus sacrifice has enabled us to have a relationship with God again, why now make faith a requirement? Surely Jesus came to do away with requirements?

Basically, why make it so difficult? Not that He is not justified in doing so. I am not angry or frustrated that we have to have this faith, It is totally justifiable. He is God, and besides look at how much he has done for us! How can we even think about questioning some tiny little requirement He has of us? In a sense, I am not questioning it, more questioning why it is necessary.

We are told that God is able to do anything. This is a fundamental belief which I understand and agree with. We are also told that God really deeply desires a close relationship with us. (Something I struggle with a bit more as you know from my previous entries). If both of these are true, then why make it hard? why not make it easy? Why put an obstacle in the way?

John Ortbergs 'God is closer than you think' series talks a lot about how much God desires a relationship with us. How much He loves us. He uses the illustration of the picture in the Sistene chapel of God reaching out His arm, stretching out with His whole body trying to reach us, and all it requires is a little lift of our finger to meet His outstretched arm. Beautiful! BUT He is not bound by anything, He is God, He is not stretching out to His full capacity because that is infinite. He doesn't 'need' us to lift our finger, He could reach us anyway, and if that is what He so desires, then why doesn't He?

I know I have left out free will, but that little lift of our finger is not simply an exercise in free will - 'yes God I do want a relationship with you' - I exercise my free will and say 'yes please'. The 'little lift' often requires huge sacrifice, huge cost. Basically 'huge faith' (Huge is relative - i know its nothing in comparison to what we owe!)

Once again, I am not bitter about the need to have faith, I know it may sound like that but I am not. I am simply trying to work it all through in this logical brain of mine!

12 comments:

Glyn Harries said...

I am single.

Yes I know it's hard to believe but I am.

For all I know, I may always be single (once again, please try to hold back on the scepticism).

So acknowledging my singleness and the possibility that that could be indefinate, if I had the option to bulk up, become a viking, rape, pillage and hit beautiful women over the head to take home and be my bride, would I take it?

Maybe you should ask me again in 20 years but at the moment, no.

Even if it was accepted and the aforementioned beauty was happy with the arrangement it would still fall somewhat short of spending my life with someone who chose to.

I guess what makes the prospect of love so appealing is that the other person has the option of saying "I don't like your hair and your breath smells - please go away" but doesn't. They want to be with you and spend the rest of their life with you.

The way I see it (and admittedly my view is cosmically narrow), God created mankind for the sake of relationship and that involves choice. People can choose not to believe, not to accept and not to love so when they do believe, accept and love it's all the more beautiful.

If God did just reach out the full whack, would that be more like a viking, rape & pillage type deity?

Unknown said...

Thanks Glyn. That is a good perspective on it.

xxx

Liz said...

This is a quote from Becca's Blog that also illustrates it rather 'nicely'

"I'm annoyed at God that he lets this stuff happen that he lets people get away with rubbishing his name- but part of me gets why he needs to as well. because then, everytime someone does get it, someone does understand, he can truly smile. cos they found him despite all the ****!"

Unknown said...

Yeah, I kind of see that, but its a bit nicey-nicey. (Sorry becks - not a reflection on you or your point, because you may be right). I just don't know that its enough...

This will get personal if I carry on, so I wont!

xxx

Becks said...

I understand your point really but to me it all balances on what you see the consequences of disbelief to be? if you believe God is gonna banish people to a fiery painful hole in the ground then maybe he doesnt come off looking to great and its harder to get, but i dont necessarily think that. i believe the consequence to be an eternity without God- but if you've never believed in GOd anyway- what have you lost? in my opinion, until you think through what you believe hell to be, you cannot grasp the justice or injustice of any of it.

nigel said...

becks - when I tell peolple that hell is an eternity without God they often say that they like their life now without God. However, I believe that life on this earth now is a life with God in control and intervening when necessary. If you take away God's essence - his love, kindness and grace, and look at the evil in this world for a clue of what I mean - then you may get close to an eternity where gnashing of teeth and fiery furnace are the best anaolgies.
Also, I believe that eternal life without God (hell) is our default position that we have chosen (allbeit through Eve and Adam), that is that it'snot where God sends us but where we have chosen to be.

Unknown said...

Thanks Nigel. (Nigel is a colleague of mine).

Whilst I do not want to turn this into a massive debate, knowing that this can be a really sensitive issue for a lot of people, like Becks said, I think it is important for us to know what our understanding of Eternity is. And not just to have our view and feel like its ok if I have my own perception of it, I think what we ought to seek after the truth. There is a truth about what it means if you choose not to accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour. It is not going to be a different reality for different people depending on what our individual opinion is, so surely it is important to seek after this truth.
Although, is it? Will we just go round in circles because really nobody knows?

Whilst I accept we can't know for sure what eternity holds, we do know what the Bible tells us, and the Bible clearly states that 'there will be weeping an gnashing of teeth' - as Nigel said. Surely if thats what scripture says we have to believe that.

I don't know, what do other people think? Like I said, I don't want this to become a massive issue, and I don't want it to upset anyone, but is it important to discuss? And if it is, then what do people think about it?

Sorry, a whole lot more questions. This might as well have been a post of its own!

xxxx

thesamesky said...

Kirst - just on another point. Can cannot be anything other than what he is. (That's immutable, for the clever!) So saying he is omnipotent, then asking him to be something other than what he is is almost laughable. It's like saying 'can God make a rock big enough that he can't lift it . . . .'

So this is why he cannot make sin and holiness exist together. He cannot be anything other than what he is, holy. And sin cannot be anything other than what it is, sin. And they cannot be together. If God allowed sin into his presence he would be less than holy.

And on the other point, I think (but have no references to back this up right now) that hell is etenity without God (as heaven is eternity with God) and the reason it is so awful is that our deepest needs for security, signifiance and self-worth are met in God. Without him we will live our lives in despair - we will feel insecure, insignificant and worthless. It will be awful!

xx

Unknown said...

Ok. That makes sense Rach, I like that. God can't be anything other than He is. It adds a whole new spin to it that I hadn't considered. Very good point. But, if He can't make holiness and sin exist together, then He can't do everything, surely.

I get the whole He can't be anything other than He is, but how then can He be also able to do everything?

Is it that He could, but wont be anything other than what He is?

Anonymous said...

Hi i meant to say something a few days but never did due to time! But what i was thinking was along the same lines as Rach. SOmetimes i think you guys think far too much - but then sommetimes i think i think not enough! I haven't really thought about whether God can't or won't but i see it as if God did allow sin into heaven - therefore making him less holy then he wouldn't be who he is. I would say that maybe it is one thing that God can't do because he can't be what he is not and why would he or us want him too?!

Don't know if this makes sense or even answers the question but i have to go off to my christmas fayre wehoo.

nigel said...

han - that makes complete sense! I was going to post words to that effect earlier but didn't have time. God finds sin detestable but his chosen separation from sin does not put his sovereinty into question.
becks - hope what I said Fri makes some sense. Sorry I didn't introduce myself or be a little more friendly in my posting but I was at work and it wasn't lunchtime!
I think this is great site Kirsty and it's good to have lot of questions: "i do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"
Have good w/e all!

nigel said...

Kirsty - I've now read your blog properly and understand exactly where you are coming from. You correctly don't question God's right but ask why make it so hard. Sometimes it's easier simply to accept that there are things we won't understand until we meet Him. He is the creator of heaven and earth and there are no limits to His powers. His name is Yahweh. Cry out to the Lord because God has never had trouble with tough questions. Read Job. He was handed over to Satan and was left ruined. He questions God and when God gave him answers he repented. He realsied that God was in charge of all that He has made and deserves to be trusted. When times are tough and sometimes one feels distant from God, that is normally when God finds me and sorts me out. Pray, question God, shout at Him but keep trusting. Look at all that He has done in your life to date. You know He loves you and cares but when He allows things to get tough, this is when you'll get built up in your faith. Also remember that God will not allow you endure more than you can handle. "Gracious Father, I long for You to give me a clearer vision of Your greatness and power. And please help me trust You to bring things to a good and perfect end. In Jesus' name. Amen" Slewyn Hughes. Love Nigel