Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Theory vs Practice - Truth vs Grace

Last Friday I attended a churches together event, (which was great – I am always challenged about tunnelled vision at events like that – but that is worthy of another post one day!). The speaker for the evening was Joel Edwards – the head of the evangelical alliance. He spoke really well about the need for a balance between grace and truth, particularly in reference to evangelism. I will give the basics of what he said.

The two concepts, grace and truth, are both massively important elements of the Christian faith, and both should be emphasised and adopted in the living out of our faith. However, it is so easy for us to let these get out of balance. Many Christians would often find themselves very passionate about presenting ‘truth’ to the world, and when truth is being questioned or ignored would take that as an invitation to fight. Others would recognise that people need love and care, and would keep their focus on the people and their feelings rather than on imposing rules and regulations.

What is the right way? To grab people by the throat forcing them to listen to the gospel until they accept Jesus as their personal Saviour, or to accept that they have a right to choose their own lifestyle and belief system and never challenge that, possibly at the risk of them never hearing the truth? Truth vs. grace.

As a Salvationist I have to say that in theory, my inclination is towards truth. I am very passionate about my beliefs, and about presenting the truth to a world that seems to me to be spinning out of control. I often find myself in church, or in my quiet times, or even just in general living, wanting to beg and plead with people to listen to the gospel and am so desperate (inside) for people to grasp how vital and important this is. I also feel very passionate about our Christian responsibility to fight for social justice, to heal the broken hearted, to feed the hungry, help the poor, care for the alcoholic and the drug addict, love the prostitute and visit the imprisoned. I am also anxious that none of that is worth anything unless we are also praying for their souls and pleading with them to accept Jesus as their Saviour. As I write this, I can feel the burden inside me welling up. I want this so badly, sometimes it makes me want to cry.

And yet what a hypocrite I am. What do I do in my life that displays any of this passion or commitment to fighting for the truth? It plainly and simply isn’t there for public display, meaning that I am not actually doing any of that stuff. Can I even want it as badly as I think I do if I am not showing any of that desire in the way that I live?

When I questioned why these two, (theory and practice), do not tally I came to the conclusion that it is because 1) I am too scared, and 2) I live in a society where acceptance is the key. Everyone is fine with everyone else’s choice of belief system as long as nobody pushes anyone else to believe the same thing. People don’t tend to react well these days to forms of attack on their lifestyle choices, and so we have to work within these boundaries. I hate confrontation, and I hate anyone thinking badly of me, so I tend to err on the side of keeping my beliefs and lifestyle choices as my own, and never questioning others about theirs.

In a sense, both of these characteristics are good in themselves in some way, but Joel Edwards pointed out that there has to be a balance. Truth and grace come as a pair, we cannot separate them. If we do, the impact they will have is massively reduced. So how do we do it? How do we balance truth and grace?

Joel emphasised the fact that Jesus was the perfect role model in terms of keeping this balance right. He was passionate about the truth, and showed it, whilst also being gentle and kind and loving. He didn’t let people get away with living badly, (don’t the Pharisees know it), but he also loved them into changing. Joel used the example of the woman caught in adultery by saying that Jesus challenged the woman’s behaviour, but in a way that was not accusatory or caused her to be defensive. On the contrary, his dealings with her caused her to change her lifestyle.

So how can we follow his lead? This is where I get stuck. We were encouraged to live ‘curious’ lives. To live in such a way that causes people to ask questions. Great! But how do we do that? What does that mean practically for the way I live? I am so desperate for people to understand how much more to life there is than what is in front of them, but how can I help them to see that without pushing the gospel down their throats and causing them to run a mile in the opposite direction? How can I be gentle and caring with people without missing an opportunity to speak truth into their hearts? I don’t know how to be curious! Plus, how can we know when we have the balance right? Do we only have it right when we see results, because if so, then I have it so badly wrong!

7 comments:

thesamesky said...

This is really interesting.

Our minister recently was encouraging us to live lives in the community that are radical - that bring the kingdom of God to earth. He gave the example of a tony campolo story, where one night he couldn't sleep because of jet lag. he went out for a walk and came to a diner, where he sat to get something to eat at 3 in the morning. Here he overheard two prostitutes talking about one, called agnes, who's birthday was the following day. one was being scathing 'don't expect me to get you anything'. Agnes replied that she expected nothing, she'd never had a birthday party or a present, she just wanted to let people know that was all.

Tony asked the manager of the diner if these prostitutes came in every night, and he said yes. Tony resolved to throw Agnes a party. He got a cake, and candles, balloons etc. The following night, he and the manager set up the diner. When Agnes came in and saw everything set up for a party she was awestruck. She wouldn't let them cut the cake - with tears running down her face she asked if she could run home to show the cake to her friend. She didn't want to eat it because it was the only cake she had ever had.

Tony didn't give any speeches, he didn't ask anyone to come to church. He simply said 'can I pray for you agnes' and then he did. The manager said 'I didn't know you were a minister - what kind of church do you come from?" Tony said 'The kind that throws birthday parties for prostitues at 3 in the morning'. The manager said 'I don't believe you - if there was a church like that, I'd go'.

Our minister then challenged us to look for opportunities to 'buy birthday cakes' in our communities.

Unknown said...

Wow Rach, what a great story, and perfect for this context. A great example of 'curious living'.

I wish I was that inventive. Going to need to start thinking creatively in my spiritual life. Yikes!

xxx

Liz said...

KIRSTY - I'm so excited! Sorry this isn'ty a response to your blog, which I haven't properly read yet, BUT.... I have a blog!!
I had to have one to publish a comment on Shawn's sight - WOW.

It's wwwmumblingsandmusings.blogspot.com yes, without the dot.

Anyway, gotta fly - thinking about you on your last day - which is a funny thing to say to someone isn't it? Gosh, that could open up a whole new stream of thought couldn't it?

Thinking about you on your last day in your current employ!

XX

Liz said...

Thanks Kirsty. The funny thing is, as with all things children think about, the moment is over SO fast. I tried to recover it this morning as they have a teacher training day at school aso we have somne time on our hands if we want, and I'm WFH, but can't cut off from them altogether, but she couldn't remember what had made her wonder about it.LESSON LEARNED - give my kids the time at the time!...but that's not always possible is it.I will continue to pnder this and it will feature some more I guess.

BTW - how do I get a friends who blog list please to add all my friends to. I have been trawling through all the helps,really wanting to work it our by myself but I really can't make any sense of it at all

Glyn Harries said...

I think it's important when looking at theory and practice to consider the word praxis (that being the acts of putting theory into practice and theoretically analysing our practice - having done a masters in praxis, Kirsty knows much more about this than I do, obviously).

But it's a great word and I think we should all say it together. 1,2,3 - Praxis!

The reason I bring up this gem of a word is:

a) because it applies to so much and I think we should try and get into our conversations as much as possible.

b) because I know it's so pertinent to you, Kirsty.

c) because I don't understand why we have to look at grace and truth as being seperate. The truth is grace and by living lives in a state of grace then we are living the truth. If we are speaking "truth" but not living out lives of grace then the "truth" can't be true. I don't think it's about getting the balance right. I think it's about discovering that one doesn't work without the other. If we are living lives of grace then we are living out truth. And speaking truth at the right time, with the appropriate level of sensitivity is a form of grace. If people need to be told to buck their ideas up then it's grace that will tell them. If they need to be listened to, cared for or understood then I think grace takes care of that too.

So yeah - that's what I think. But once again, it all boils down to one thing - praxis!

Unknown said...

"Praxis is a complex activity by which individuals create culture and society, and become critically conscious human beings. Praxis comprises a cycle of action-reflection-action which is central to liberatory education. Characteristics of praxis include self-determination (as opposed to coercion), intentionality (as opposed to reaction), creativity (as opposed to homogeneity), and rationality (as opposed to chance)." www.sef.org.pk/educatewebsite/educate2fol/glosiconedu2.asp

Good word Glyn. It does enhance the discussion somewhat!

I agree with your points. They make a lot of sense. The two really are inseperable. However, from my perspective I see that as the ideal rather than the practice. If we were all fully like Christ then yes, speaking the truth would be equivalent the speaking grace, and acting with grace would be acting out truth. However, I am certainly not anywhere close to being that much like Christ yet. There is a long way to go, and in the meantime I have to be intentional in the way I speak and act. It doesn't come naturally to me to have both truth and grace completely in line and so I have to consciously choose to act in a certain way. Like with the fruit of the spirit. They should be natural outcomes of living life in the Spirit, but until I am fully like Christ and allow the spirit to completely consume my whole life and being, I have to actually try to be more self controlled and more patient and so on. It doesn't simply happen without any effort on our part. A little like the praxis definition above; action (talk to someone about God), reflection ('could I have been a little more graceful in what I said / did I water down the gospel just then because I was scared they might be offended'), action (change behaviour in accordance with the outcomes of the reflection).

I do agree in theory that the two are inseperable, but my point is that practically it doesn't always work that way. For example, I could go and yell at my colleagues repeatedly that Jesus is the way the truth and the life, and that no-one goes to the Father except through him. I would be speaking the truth - that is the truth, but it wouldn't be very graceful (or likely effective) way of doing it!

Nergo said...

What can a person do that God can't do for Himself? God is not nervous about societies poor condition. God is in control. Don't be the 'god of your on life' Let God be in control. Enjoy the freedom you have with your eyes now open joined to Him in Spirit because of the cross. Father, I/we completely Trust you in the outcome of this day.