Saturday, May 19, 2007

Minor Injustices

Ok, I admit it, I watch the Joseph show! And I love it. But tonight, I hate it! An injustice was done. Sorry if you don't watch it and you don't know what I am talking about, but basically, tonight, the voting public, and Andrew Lloyd Webber decided to eliminate a star. Daniel was miles better than Lewis, and Daniel could easily have been Joseph in the West End. Daniel and Lee outshine the rest of them without question. And yet here we are, and Daniel is gone. (Before you ask, no I didn't vote, and now feel very bad about it!)

So why has this inspired a blog? There are a few times today where I have become frustrated at minor injustices. The fact that the ball was clearly over the line in the FA cup final and yet the referee didn't seem to notice was one. Another, (also in the football match), was a really, really minor one, where a throw in was given to Chelsea which should easily have been United's.

It got me wondering three things. The first one is this; I wonder which players referees would highlight as being the most trustworthy, in terms of their integrity in a match. If a player claims that they scored, or won a throw in, or were pushed down in the box, would a ref be more likely to believe some players than others? I know their judgement shouldn't be coloured by the players at all, but I just wonder if, when someone claims on the pitch that an injustice has been done, the ref may sometimes doubt his decision, especially if that player tends to be rather trustworthy! This thought entered my head because I realised today, that I really trust in Ryan Gigg's integrity, and tend to believe him, and yet with players like Drogba or Ronaldo, I would be more likely to ignore their cries of injustice.

Second, what is it inside of us that just needs to burst out in prostest when we see these minor injustices? There are times when it is right to remain calm and not even mention it, like Daniel today. It wouldn't have been appropriate for him to stand up there and say, I don't accept it, you're wrong, I am one of the best two in this contest. It also wouldn't have been right for any of the panel to complain at that moment either. Perhaps we British are better at this than most. Remaining polite and swallowing our frustrations, and just getting on with it. And yet it can't be denied that there is something within that just wants to cry out, 'nooooooo!' (I have to admit - I did, when Daniel was kicked out!)

Third, if there is something within us causing us to do that when we see such a minor injustice, why is it that it can remain so silent when the injustice is much bigger? I know that many many people these days are dealing with this much better; are noticing big injustices and trying to do something about them (not least the Salvation Army) and its superb. Yet we actually have to work to make ourselves feel that strongly about it, but it is so natural with smaller things. (Is it just me?) I wonder if this is to do with how easily we allow ourselves to become personally affected by things. What made me cross today? Daniel being sent home, and Man U not winning. Why was it those things? Because I am a fan of Man U and have been all my life, and therefore have chosen to be loyal to them and care about them winning; and because I like theatre, and will most likely want to go and see Joseph when it comes out, I would like to see someone performing who will be good at it, and will help to make me feel part of the story. I allowed myself to imagine watching Daniel, (and Lee) on the west end stage, 'being Joseph'. That image has now been shattered.

I allowed myself to become, 'personally involved'. I allowed myself to care. Worldwide, if we allow ourselves to care, the strength of the sense of injustice may become too much for us to bear, so it is easier for us, less painful for us, to distance ourselves from it. As I said, I think we are doing this less and less these days, as a country, but I still think there is a long way to go.

In addition to all that, there are things closer to home which I know I could get more involved in. If a friend of mine is hurting, a collegue is involved in a difficult situation, a family member is struggling, a man lives on a street I walk down every week, people in my home town who I haven't got to know yet are addicted to drugs, or gambling, there are people in my neighbourhood who are so disillusioned that all they know how to do is drown their sorrows with alcohol, do I get involved personally? Do I allow myself to care? To care to the point where it hurts me?

Is that even right? I was talking to someone on Thursday about the fact that I need to learn how to care about people and situations without also feeling responsible for them. I have noticed recently that I have a tendancy to become burdened by a sense of responsibility to 'make things better', so much so that it overwhelms me, and then I haven't got anything left in me to simply care about them or it. Something happens and I am immediately consumed with the burden of it all, the responsibility I have in it all, and I can't think straight enough to do anything or even to care. How do you draw the line. If I could learn how to not let things overwhelm me so much then maybe I would be able to shout 'noooo' when a girl goes missing, or when one of my collegues says that the Bible should just stick to being a good source of moral guidance and nothing more, as easily as I shout it when the wrong person is kicked out of 'Joseph school'!

Sorry its so personal.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

We already talked! I need to blog!

Fiona said...

Kirsty, I too shouted "NO WAY" at the tv, when watching the Joseph show yesterday on video. That was a complete injustice, can't think what possess "the lord" to do what he did. I won't be going to see Joseph now unless Lee wins (2nd choice, Daniel was my fav)!! Can't say I got that vocal with the footie, but talk to Keith and Mark, they were there and so there was no doubt a lot of screaming going on.

But that's easy to scream at the tv in the privacy of our own homes, or to scream injustices from the "terraces" with thousands of others.

When you have to shout "no" to injustice and you are sometime the lone voice, that's scary!!!

Unknown said...

Fiona, I think you have touched on a key point here. I get very scared of being the lone voice - in anything, not just shouting at injustices.

I am so glad there are a number of us at Romford all getting ready to 'fight'. I hate feeling lonely yet impassioned!

Anonymous said...

Kirsty, I think part of the problem is the lone voice issue and certainly is the reason that people don't speak out when they see some sort of injustice.

However, I think the real problem is that we simply have got so used to seeing injustice in the world at large, that unless it affects us personally or something we care about (for instance how can it be just that my football club has missed out in the League 2 playoffs for the 5th successive season) then we simply don't react.

I am saddest that we Christians are just as guilty as everyone else. Take for instance the 2 pet subjects of the religious right, Abortion and Homosexuality. In one they can scream from the rooftops about justice for the unborn, yet in the other ignore the issue of justice for homosexuals.

The only way we can truly learn to shout 'no' in freedom is to seek for more of God's heart for the oppressed. Only then can we really seek the justice that Jesus teaches us to.