Sunday, June 15, 2008

I am asking you as a friend!

I went to Shirley Salvation Army today in Southampton to visit my little bro and some old friends. The young people led the meeting in the morning, and the theme was about Jesus calling us friends - based on the passage of scripture John 15:13-15 which says:

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."

That small phrase, "You are my friends if you do what I command" really caught my attention today. In the past I have read this and almost sucked in my breath whilst reading it because it sounds very much like it is saying, I will call you my friend IF you do what I command. For the first time today I heard this completely differently. Nobody re-parahrased it for me, it wasn't read from a different version, nothing was different, except what I heard. Today I heard, "When I ask you to do things, I ask you as a friend." I know that's not what the passage says, and I don't claim that that is what it means either. Usually I would dismiss these thoughts straight away because they are not accurately reflecting what was written. However, today I couldn't stop thinking about it.

It turned my mind to that phrase that people often use when they want something from someone or if they are desperate for something from someone, and when they are refused they say, 'please, I am asking you as a friend.' The addition of that little phrase (correct me if I'm wrong) sometimes softens peoples hearts to the request being made of them - because it turns it into something more than just a simple 'cold' request. It becomes a matter of friendship and need - it adds 'warmth' to the request.

I wondered if sometimes we can treat things that God asks us to do as cold commands. I wonder if sometimes He asks us things 'as a friend' that we treat as commands and therefore feel less willing to do. It made me contemplate the difference between a command God gives and a request a friend makes. Usually if a friend makes a request of us using that phrase, it would be because there is something we can give to them or do for them that they don't have or can't do for themselves. With God - this is not the case. God does not need us like a friend might. If we say no it won't mean that God goes without, or is left at a loss or is left broken in any way. In fact, is it not often the case that the requests God makes of us, end up being for us, or at least for the world, rather than for Him? Therefore, can we really consider Him 'a friend'? Is friendship not a mixture of give and take? But what can we truly give to God? I know we say we can give Him our worship, our praise, our lives and so on, but not doing so doesn't make Him a lesser being. Basically He doesn't need us in the same way that we need him or we need our friends because, simply, God is God. Can we call Him friend - or is it just that He is a friend to us, though we aren't friends to Him?

I know this seems complicated, and unnecessary, and I guess I just need to let it go and not worry about the detail (Liz), but this cropped up because there is something I know God is asking of me, and I am having a really hard time obeying. I wondered if thinking about it in the sense of God saying, "look Kirsty, I am asking as a friend, please would you..." would make a difference. Would I find it easier to do it if I felt that it meant something to God, rather than it just being a command. But I don't want to assume that is how it is being said if its not, and I just don't get it. God is The Almighty. How dare I assume my obedience means something to Him personally - other than that He is God and therefore I should obey.

I don't really know how to finish this post off - Umm, the post is now over?!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Hmm when I hear that phrase, 'I'm asking you as a friend' or more acurately (!) when I read it just now in your blog it hit me as a begging kind of thing, a 'how can you say NO' kind of thing, a manipulation?

Or it could mean that the friend wants you to do something in partnership with them.

You are right, I think, that God's will won't be prevented from happening just because we find it hard or even impossible to do OUR bit, but how much more fulfilling for us,to know that we HAVE stepped up, that for our moment our steps were in step with God's, even though it was/is difficult.

Friends like to big each other up from time to time and the after glow of a task in partnership with God,I would imagine, is rather a fab Big Up - but of course, not the only motivation for doing it!

thesamesky said...

Isn't everything we do about relationship? And relationships are built on mutual love and trust right?

The whole point is that we mean something to God personally - the whole point is that it is about relationship. So yes - he is asking you as a friend, and as a lover (in the wooing sense of the word) and as a loving father, and as a saviour and all those things.

Have posted a post on my blog (shock horror!) Let me know what you think - I'd appreciate a bit of Kirsty input on this question. Not sure whether it is worthwhile or not, interesting or not, whether it would be a helpful process or just a selfish one! hehe - you'll know what I mean when you check it out.

Love ya!

xx

Unknown said...

But its a bit slushy isn't it? Its the difference between doing something because we choose to be obedient, (which I think is right - but very hard to do) and doing something because because God says 'I would love it if...' I just worry that with all this talk about being friends with God further removes us from the respect we should also show Him. And yet I can't deny that I would find it easier to obey by seeing Him as a friend rather than a Master. But I dont want to reduce Him...!

thesamesky said...

I don't think that seeing God for who he is would reduce him. And yes - there is the respect, we mustn't forget God is Creator and Awesome. But what I've learned this last year has really reinforced that the whole reason he created us in the first place was for relationship with him. Therefore it is the primary purpose. He isn't some scary authoritarian trying to get you to do what he wants for the hell of it. The point is he loves you enough to want you to do it AND because it is for the sake of your relationship with him.


Whoa that sounded more preachy than I'd like. Sorry!