Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Guilt - is it ever right?

I was having a conversation with someone the other day, and I happened to mention that I felt guilty about something I had done, (or rather hadn't done to be precise!). Immesdiately, the person I was talking to grabbed my hand and said, 'no'. She went on to explain that she didn't beileve that God ever wanted us to feel guilty. I have never really thought much about this before. To be honest, guilt forms a massive part of my every day life so I am used to feeling it, but suddenly, I was faced with a challenge about where those feelings were coming from.

My feelings of gult mainly stem from my frustration at myself for not being the person I want to be, for feeling passionately that things need to be done but never doing anything about it except getting on my soapbox. For this reason, I always considered that this sense of guilt was acceptable, because God wants me to do those things, and be that person.

However, I am now uncertain. I think there is a distinction between a sense of guilt, and a sense of responsibility, but that these often get mixed up. If that is true, then perhaps it is responsibility I should be feeling and not guilt. The person concerned went on to describe how Jesus always convicted people, but never condemned. That Jesus shows us our weaknesses and our sins but in a loving way that encourages rather than tears down. All this seems fair and reasonable. (For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. John 3:17)

And yet I look at some Biblical examples: Annanias and Saphira who died instantly because they had lied about how much they were giving; God sometimes called people's worship and sacrificial offerings detestable to him because of the state of their hearts; and most significantly, "To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked... Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent... To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne... Revelation 3:14-21 (selection)

I worry sometimes that we focus so much on the 'nicey nicey' stuff of God that we forget that He is also a judge. A judge who has every right to 'spit us out of his mouth' because we are lukewarm, and tells the church in Laodicea that He actually will. If we sin, but don't feel guilt, will we ever fully understand grace? Surely guilt is a natural response to sin?

BUT the person I was speaking to is one of the wisest people I know! So I am questionning...is it ever right to feel guilty as a Christian?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

If by guilt we mean the feeling of condemnation and shame then no. We reign in life by grace. There is no condemnation. Grace is a gushing river that does away with guilt at the cross.

If by guilt we mean conviction of sin that turns to repentance and faith and joy in Jesus then yes. But I think I'd rather call it conviction of sin than guilt.

Anonymous said...

heya m8...
last night we had a bible study on obedience and we had quite a big debate / discusion about this guilt thing afterwards... its quite a deep topic... i am thinking of bloggin about it myself now!!!

Liz said...

Hi, I am actually working on a blog in draft so it won't be long. Sorry to have caused you pain, but I really haven't had anything to say - must be a first!

Liz said...

Hey, just flicking through the other non bloggers and note you haven't been giving them a hard time about it - not that I want to make you feel 'guilty' or anything, but I feel a little persecuted!!

Unknown said...

Maybe you're just special!

Liz said...

Special....okay, I'm liking special.

little said...

I used to lead a year-out programme and mentor the lads in 1-2-1s every week. Guilt was a massive issue in so many of their lives - as was another huge issue - forgiveness.

I totally agree with what your friend (and the bluefish) said - guilt is never from God; in fact, neither is fear. Both these and other negative emotions only serve to discourage, devalue or belittle us. Well, John 10:10 says the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy, but my understanding of how the Accuser works is that he's usually quite subtle - but his ultimate aim is to bring DEATH to us.

On the other hand, God's words to us are ALWAYS life. By his spirit he speaks encouragement, words that give us hope and joy, words of peace/shalom that calm our hearts and minds (Phil 4:6-8). Words of conviction fit into this, because they are words from a loving Father who want to help us be transformed into the likeness of his Son. So, when we feel bad about something, if those feelings are from God, they will lead us TO him in order for him to deal with it; if they're from the Accuser they will make us feel we can't go to God (because we're 'too bad') and cause us to hold on to his lies - and we are destroyed in the process.

A helpful analogy I've found is that of a court of law. Satan is known as the Accuser, and we are the Accused (analagous to the Prosecution and the Accused in court). His job is to find us guilty.

However, there is this awesome character called the Advocate/Counsellor/Helper/Comforter (all translations of the word used to describe the Holy Spirit in John 14-17), analogous to the Defence Lawyer, and HIS job is to say "Nah, through Jesus the defendant is innocent." As long as we remember that Jesus seeks to bring us life, then we can reject guilt, accept the challenge of God-conviction, and move onwards and upwards.

Sorry this is such a long post - it's one of the subjects closest to my heart. Too many Christians walk around with a whole load of baggage - particularly guilt and fear - which they don't need to carry. It's not always as easy as just praying for God to take it away, sometimes we need other Christians to minister God's grace to us by listening and helping us confess stuff we've done, or helping us pray to forgive someone that's hurt us, but my experience is 100% that Jesus is bigger than all of that and he can and will take it away and transform us into new people.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment. I have had a number of people tell me that guilt is a subject very close to their heart, and it seems that it is something an incredible amount of people struggle with. I really liked the bit you said where guilt will lead you away from God and make you not want to speak to him. One of the things I struggle with is knowing the difference between 'guilty feelings' that are from the devil, and conviction that I need to do something. I think you are right. If my feelings are making me want to turn away from God rather than drawing me to him, I need to reject them. Thanks for commenting. It was very helpful.

xxx